Bodnant gardens in May are a riot of colour.
Bodnant gardens lie a few miles south of Conwy in north Wales. The gardens were originally created by Henry Pochin, a Victorian chemist and businessman, who bought the estate in 1874. It was inherited by his daughter Laura and her husband Charles McLaren, a barrister and Liberal M.P. who was created Lord Aberconway in 1911. Three generations of their family then extended the gardens, building the terraces and collecting exotic plants from around the world. The estate greatly benefited from the work of three generations of head gardeners, Frederick, Martin and Charles Puddle, who were in charge continuously from 1920 to 2005.
The estate was given to the National Trust in 1948.